Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cheap Gas


Detroit!

Stop tempting us with your cool new muscle cars, like the new Camaro, which gets 22 mpg (on a completely flat road, driving the speed limit, which I'm sure I will be with a 304 horsepower engine).

What with the fall in gas prices and all, the Camaro is destroying the Honda Insight in the sales department.

I guess the thinking behind the muscle car resurgence is, wouldn't it be nice to go back to a simpler time, when all that mattered was how many horses you had under the hood?

It just doesn't seem like the best move, to stake the fate of the American car industry on denial.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dr.Bair being environmentally conscious myself I find it hard that we make vehicles that still get less than 20 miles per gallon, but why do auto makers have to make all the environmental cars look so , for a lack of a better word, sissy and stupid. Tesla motors makes a sweet looking sports car that is all electric and gets about 200 miles to a full charge. In a drag race the Tesla sports car outperformed a Ferrari and Lamborghini. I feel we can have our cake and eat it too. If we do it the right way.

Dr. Asatar Bair said...

Yeah, it's true. I guess Toyota knows its audience. The early adopters of hybrids go in for the sissy look. (I say that with affection, being a sissy driver myself. The cars I've owned: 1981 Honda Civic, 1991 Nissan Sentra, 1989 Volvo 240DL, 2006 Sion xB). You're also right about Tesla, big ups to them for breaking the mold. (Too bad about the big price tag!)

Unknown said...

GM still plans on introducing the Chevy Volt in 2010 which has many Camaro like body qualities. Very non-sissy.Lol. I hope they can keep the price tag below $50,000.

Dr. Asatar Bair said...

I like where Chevy's going with the Volt. Their big mistake is only being 5 years behind the times. I suppose it takes both the willingness to take a risk combined with the right marketing, because Honda introduced the Insight, but without much fanfare, and the car never took off. When Toyota introduced the Prius, they gave the car a real advertising push, and it took off. Perhaps times had changed.

Dr. Asatar Bair said...

You're right that the price tag of the Volt is a problem.